Another significant part of the church and worship life of the congregation has been music. Zion has always been blessed with individuals to whom God has given gifts in this field and who have willingly shared them. Choirs have existed many times at Zion, usually being formed, disbanding and then forming again. The first such choir was begun in 1912.
This blog reviews the music of Zion Lutheran Church – Alva.
Solidity came to the intermittent choirs in the person of Ruth Genuit who held the position of Director of Vocal Music at Northwestern State College in Alva.
Miss Genuit began directing Zion’s vocal choir in 1943 and sustained that choir until she moved away during the 1970s. She had retired from the college in May of 1967 due to health but continued to direct Zion’s choir and to live in the teacherage which was sold following the closing of the school.
Other choir directors followed, including Roland Lohmann, who also served as an organist, Danny Rock, who taught band at the high-school, and Mrs. Rejeana Weibener.
Mrs. Weibener also directed the bell choir, which has been well received everywhere they go.
Zion has also been blessed with many fine organists. The school teachers frequently served in this capacity. Teacher Harold Meier was renowned for playing faster and singing louder when he felt the congregation was dragging a bit with its hymnody. Teacher Hartman played organ also, sometimes slipping songs of the old west into the service. Others have included Mickey Kletke, Cindy (Rauh) Randolph, Dianna Wallace, Mary Turner and Ruby Hughes.
- The contents of this blog were taken from Zion Lutheran Church – Alva, Oklahoma 100 year celebration book “Zion Lutheran Church 1899-1999 Alva, OK”.The texts were reformatted as well as various spelling, grammar and other modifications were made.