This blog includes photographs of confirmands and confirmation records of Zion Lutheran Church – Alva, Oklahoma.
An Explanation of Luther’s Small Catechism states:
Confirmation is a public rite of the Church preceded by a period of instruction designed to help baptized Christians identify with the life and mission of the Christian community. Note: Prior to admission to the Eucharist, it is necessary to be instructed in the Christian faith (1 Cor. 11:28). The rite of confirmation provides an opportunity for the individual Christian, relying on God’s promise given in Holy Baptism, to make a personal public confession of the faith and a lifelong pledge of fidelity to Christ.
Photographs and Records
May 18, 1919
- Front Row:Teacher Theodore Schroeder, Anna Mohes, Clara Aebel, Molly Pshigoda, Pastor M.K.C. Vetter
- Middle Row: Julius Kirmse, Alber (Skeet) Wiersig, Ethel Hartwig, Mabel Lieswald, Henry Hort, Alfred Rauh
- Back Row: Alta Lieswald, Mathilda Lieswald, Louise Bredford, Minnie Goergier, Alma Schierloh, Martha Hartwig
April 27, 1924
- Front Row: Confirmand 1, Walter William Lohmann, Confirmand 3, Confirmand 4, Confirmand 5
- Middle Row: Alwin Karl Kirmse, Confirmand 7 Teacher E.H. Hafner, Pastor Walter Meyer, Confirmand 8, Confirmand 9
- Back Row: Confirmand 10, Confirmand 11, Confirmand 12, Confirmand 13, Confirmand 14, Confirmand 15, Confirmand 16, Confirmand 17
April 6, 1952
- Front Row:Virgil Oscar Wiersig, Emmet Harold Lieswald
- Back Row: Pastor Otto Hoyer, Dale Herman Ritter, Dorthy Louise Wagner, Frieda Ann Lehl, Gertrude Louise Petermann, John William Rauh, Dale William Kirmse, Teacher William Helmkamp
April 3, 1955
- Front Row: Gail Warner Lieswald, John Victor “Butch” Matthews, Ruby Jean Schuessler, Bernice Lohmann, Darrel Dean Kletke, Garold Edward August Busse
- Back Row: Teacher Milton Schmidt,,Pastor Earl Krupp, Teacher Robert Hartman
April 15, 1962
- Front Row: Noel Ewbanks, Roland Lohmann
- Middle Row: Sherilyn Peters, Phil Kletke, James Krupp, Glen Diacon
- Back Row: Pastor Earl Krupp, Teacher Robert Hartman
“Special recollections of Pastor Krupp include one confirmation Sunday when the good reverend lost track of time during the question and answer session and ran the church service terrifically long. For several hours the hapless youth were subjected to questions which left one of them feeling, at the time, as though they didn’t care if they should ever set foot in the Lutheran Church again. That incident may have played a part in the decision shown in the 1961 minutes to the effect that henceforth question and answers would be done on the Friday evening before the Palm Sunday, confirmation service.”
If you have Zion Lutheran Church – Alva confirmation class photographs, please scan them and send me a copy along with identification of the individuals shown.
- Zion Lutheran Church – Alva, Oklahoma 100 year celebration book “Zion Lutheran Church 1899-1999 Alva, OK”.
- Zion Lutheran Church – Alva Confirmation Records. Source: Scanned from Zion Lutheran – Alva – Church Records, December, 2003.
- An Explanation of Luther’s Small Catechism, copyright 1991, Concordia Publishing House, question 306, page 241 (LCMS) As downloaded 15 Nov 2017 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_(Lutheran_Church)
- See Also: Zion Lutheran Confirmation Class – 1919 http://grandmakirmsesalbum.kirmse.website/zion-lutheran-confirmation-class-1919/
- See Also: Zion Lutheran Confirmation Class – 1924 http://grandmakirmsesalbum.kirmse.website/zion-lutheran-confirmation-class-1924/
- Scanned from Mildred (Brunken) Kletke picture album owned by Darrel Kletke on 1 Oct 2017. Names provided by Darrel Kletke.
- Scanned from Mildred (Brunken) Kletke picture album owned by Darrel Kletke on 1 Oct 2017. Names provided by Phil Kletke.